Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 04:10:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10208: After 3.1-RELEASE install, it can't boot.

The following reply was made to PR kern/10208; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To: robert@ircnet.dk
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 20:53:23 +0900

 >   Every time I rebooted the boot manager said F1: FreeBSD as it should,
 > but it also said F5: Drive0 (there abouts). When I made a second (spare,
 > unused) partition on the machine, the F5 was replaced with F2: FreeBSD
 > but it still didn't work.

 If F5: Drive 0 shows up, type that before F1.

 >   After exiting sysinstall it wanted to reboot.. fine with me, but when
 > it tried to find the kernel it said it was invalid or couldn't find it
 > or so (I didn't pay particular attention to the error message).

 I hope you realize you ought to have paid attention.

 Try entering /boot/loader at the kernel loader's prompt if this
 message reappears. If it works, you have to install the new boot
 blocks. You can do that by typing:

 disklabel -B wd0 (or da0, if you are using SCSI).

 --
 Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
 dcs@newsguy.com

 	"To make it absolutely clear: you stand on the wrong end of my
 blasters, so you better get lost before I start target practice!"