Date:      Sun, 28 Feb 1999 20:01:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      Warner Losh <imp@FreeBSD.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils Makefile.inc0 src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as Makefile src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as/as_mips Makefile config.h itbl-cpu.h obj-format.h targ-cpu.h targ-env.h src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld Makefile.mips src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld/mips ...

imp         1999/02/28 20:01:58 PST

  Modified files:
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils Makefile.inc0
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as Makefile
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libbfd Makefile
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libopcodes Makefile
  Added files:
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as/as_mips Makefile config.h itbl-cpu.h
                                    obj-format.h targ-cpu.h
                                    targ-env.h
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld Makefile.mips
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/ld/mips ldemul-list.h
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libbfd Makefile.mips
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libbfd/mips bfd.h config.h
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libbinutils Makefile.mips
    gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libopcodes Makefile.mips
  Log:
  Add TARGET_ARCH=mipsel and TARGET_ARCH=mipseb as a valid targets.
  Unlike the unisex architecutres we've had so far, mips is bisexual.
  These tools can produce either byte sex, and the compiler/make
  determines the proper gender to use.  Otherwise, we'd have to have had
  mipsel and mipseb in all the places that we have just mips.  And there
  are other complications with doing that (binutils doesn't like to
  build mips tools without both byte genders, it seems).

  Introduced BINUTIL_ARCH so that other bisexual architectures can a
  generic mechanism.

  We cannot just define MACHINE_ARCH as mips because we need to
  differentiate big and little endian types of binaries.  Discussions on
  freebsd-arch have hashed out this issue (and the parallel libc
  issues).  NetBSD is moving towards mipsel and mipseb for their two
  flavors of mips ports (in time for 1.4, if this change hasn't already
  been accomplished).

  I've been building i386 worlds with this tree for a three months with
  these files in place with no ill effects.

  Revision  Changes    Path
  1.6       +13 -7     src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/Makefile.inc0
  1.5       +5 -2      src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/as/Makefile
  1.7       +2 -2      src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libbfd/Makefile
  1.4       +2 -2      src/gnu/usr.bin/binutils/libopcodes/Makefile