Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 15:46:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gcc

John Polstra said:
> In article <19990228152909.E2170@relay.nuxi.com>,
> David O'Brien <obrien@NUXI.com> wrote:
> > > I keep on hearing about how we're losing because we don't have the 3
> > > month old latest feature
> >
> > With EGCS the issue isn't having the latest 3 mo. feature, but we have a
> > totally BROKEN C++ compiler.
>
> Yes.  We desperately need to upgrade our compiler, and egcs looks
> like it's definitely the way to go.
>
> > What I have won't build kernels yet.  I could hack our system Makefiles
> > to use different compile options, but I don't like that approach.  So
> > I'm working on adding our compiler flags and such.
>
> Hang on.  Others have reported success building kernels with egcs.
> But even if there are problems, don't jump to the conclusion that
> they are caused by compiler bugs.  Linux also had problems building
> working kernels at first, but the problems turned out to be caused by
> incorrect clobber specs in "asm" statements.  Such errors have also
> been found in the FreeBSD kernel.  Some of them have been fixed, but
> maybe not all of them.  In any case, the problems should be fixed at
> their source, not kludged around in the compiler.

I can generally build a kernel with EGCS, if I change how the .text and
.data are laid out for initialized data.  It seems that the initialization
code makes assumptions about the order or layout of the initialization
data.  Once the stuff is made to act more like the version of GCC that
FreeBSD uses, the kernel will most often build and work.

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid