Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 08:18:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net>
To:        bp@butya.kz (Boris Popov)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM and VFS relations

Boris Popov said:
> 	Hello,
>
> 	currently I try to optimize IO operations in nwfs and don't break
> consistency between normal and paged IO. After thorough reading of
> vfs_bio/vfs_aio/vfs_vnode_pager it is seems that VM and VFS layers are not
> tightly integrated. However code in vfs_bio (BIO layer) a very good
> candidate to do that (is this right ?).

vfs_bio has most of the stuff, but there are hooks in vfs_subr, and
a few other places.

> 	I'm very interesting in history of different IO layers and
> in plans of future development in that direction. Specially, in
> ability (possibility ?) of creating a single IO routine which will
> integrate both paged and normal IO operations for any file system.

That should be done.  The buffer cache stuff was left in for legacy
filesystem support.  It is unlikely that softupdates would have been
added to FreeBSD, if the buffer cache code was fully removed, for
example...  (That isn't to say that there weren't compatibility
problems anyway.)

> 	Any documents pointers, common notes, etc. would be very
> appreciated.

IMO, one of the best things to do, would be to remove the
dependency of UFS from the buffer cache code (or at least, remove
it for normal file I/O.)  That would eliminate alot of the
buffer building, reconstitution and destroying overhead.  One
proposal would be to create big mappings into a file, and explictly
fill those mappings.  (Don't depend on vm faults for filling buffers,
ugh!!!)

dyson@iquest.net      | it makes one look stupid