Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:11:23 +0100 (CET)
From:      Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        doug@documgmt.com (Douglas Myers)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 1.) 20G IDE tape 2.) silo overflow

It seems Douglas Myers wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a couple of questions. I run Freebsd on several systems (nothing
> short of excellent).  The ones in question are running 3.0.  I have
> recently purchased a 20G Seagate IDE tape drive that I would like to be
> able to use with a Freebsd system.  The kernel appears to have support for
> some IDE tape drives but this one does not work. My questions are 1.) does
> the IDE tape support work on smaller drives? 2.) If so, is anyone working
> on the newer, larger drives? 3.) If not, or they need assistance I would be
> willing to help with this development (I have a strong Unix background
> including kernel device drivers and 20 years of software development
> experience).

1. yes it works for me with a travan4 (4G) drive.

2. I'd love to do the support for that, lets see what we can find out.

3. There is a bunch-o-things we could try out, but lets take that in
   private mail.

> My second question regards an error message from the kernel.  The message
> is sio0: silo overflow which seems to indicate received characters overflow
> on the 16650.  This is coming from the serial port on the motherboard of
> Dell 350Mhz system.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I suspect
> it has to do with interrrupt configuration on the motherboard resulting in
> missed interrupts, I also tried to putting in an ISA serial card and had
> the same problem but not as severe.  I've tried both irq3 and irq4 and made
> sure that these interrupts were reserved for ISA devices and that nothing
> else was on that interrupt.  I have successfully used the sio driver on
> other systems without this error.

Sounds kindof wierd, you must be doing something that keeps interrupts
disabled for pretty long, or the fifo's in the 16550 are somehow not
used. How fast do you run the ports ??

-Søren