Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:31:08 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Oleg Ogurok <oleg@ogurok.com>, neill rr <robalama@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /var -- Device Busy

On Sunday,  7 March 1999 at 10:04:41 -0500, Oleg Ogurok wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 1999, neill rr wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> While following the instructions in "The Complete FreeBSD" about
>> relocating the /var and creating a symbolic link to it, when I try to
>> remove the old /var directory, this is what I get:
>>
>> #rm /var
>> rm: /var: Device Busy
>
> You may need to load FreeBSD is a singe-user mode. When it boots and you
> see the 'boot' prompt, type '-s'. Then try.

I'm guessing that the problem you have is that you have not quite
followed the example in the book, which didn't allocate a /var file
system.  I suspect that you have done so, and you still have it
mounted.  You won't be able to umount it until you stop all processes
which have files open on the file system, such as syslogd.  But that's
OK.  You can rename it (I personally call it /VAR).  Next time you
reboot (to multi-user mode), nothing will open it, and you can remove
it.

BTW, you won't be able to rm the /var directory at any time, simply
because it's a directory.  You'll have to use rmdir.

Greg