Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 1999 18:55:15 +0100 (CET)
From:      Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@adv.iae.nl>
To:        cvs-all@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD/OS compatibility (was: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf ..

>   Micro$oft's attempt at FrontPage 98 server-side extensions for Apache
>
>   Summary

>   FrontPage extensions is a pathetic joke security-wise, as Marc Slemko
>   demonstrates.

At the company I work for I changed the fpexe program and apache FP
extensions such that fpexe does not need to be setuid anymore. Of course all
files are then owned by the userid the webserver is running with (limiting
FP functionality I think, never used it myself) and it may still be possible
to change files via FP in an unauthorized way. But at least the setuid-root
bit on fpexe has gone :-). And because we're using a chrooted Apache too,
any setuid-root bit is one bit too much.

Arjan