Date:      Mon, 22 Mar 1999 19:40:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, hasty@rah.star-gate.com, dm@globalserve.net, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS - Will it ever be fixed?

:
:I'm not sure he'd be available, but are you saying that if he had time,
:and we were able to offer enough, McKusick couldn't do it?  He's not the
:only one I'd have sufficient faith in (read that, if they failed, I'd
:feel it was well worth the risk).  I'd kinda lke to pay Heidemann to
:implement stackable filesystems here.  You see what I mean.  This isn't
:something we could do a lot (there is a limit to how much money could be
:collected this way) but I think once or twice could be done, and with
:potential terrific effect.  I think both John Heidemann and Kirk
:McKusick would like to do it (although I couldn't guess at their current
:calendar commitments).  I don't know how much it'd cost us ...

    Well, you could ask Kirk, but I don't think he'd be interested.

    I can think of four, possibly five people that could do this, but I
    can't think of a single one that has the time.  We are talking at
    least 2 months worth of work and probably more for someone who already
    knows the code, and 4 months of work for someone who doesn't.  $25K
    may seem like a lot of money, but not for 2+ months of work without
    any guarentee of payment.

:>
:> 					    -Matt
:>
:>
:
:----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
:Chuck Robey                 | Interests include any kind of voice or data
:chuckr@glue.umd.edu         | communications topic, C programming, and Unix.
:213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
:Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run picnic (FreeBSD-current)
:(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (Solaris7).
:
:
:
: