Date:      Wed, 24 Mar 1999 07:50:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/10609: adjtime bug (tv_sec >2147 ) and enhancement (nil first arg)

The following reply was made to PR kern/10609; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To: haug@hawaii.conterra.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:16:13 +0100

 I don't really know if I think it makes sense to extend the area of
 adjtime(2)'s validity.

 If you were to tweak your clock 2148 seconds, it would take you 7160
 minutes (at the 300msec/min fast rate).  That is 5 days.

 Depending on you xtal, your clock may have drifted up to:

 	500PPM * 7160 * 60 = 214.8 seconds

 in the same amount of time, so we're talking about potentialy getting
 it 10% wrong...

 In comparison the ntp_adjtime() interface only allows you to tweak
 the phase +/- half a second.

 I really fail to see an application where it makes sense.  If you are
 synchronizing via modem to ACTS or similar, you would be better off
 using NTPDv4 for that since it will try to discipline your xtals
 frequency error.

 I'm not religious about it.

 FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!