Date:      Wed, 31 Mar 1999 17:04:05 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Nocturne <dpilgrim@uswest.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FS sizes for a small web/mail server?

On Tuesday, 30 March 1999 at 23:23:54 -0800, Nocturne wrote:
> I'm building a small server running FreeBSD 2.2.7[1].  It will run
> Apache, pop/smtp services, no X windows, and connect to the internet
> via my lan through a separate gateway.  It will be a public access
> server and have a large, searchable database.  As it is a dedicated
> web/mail server, I won't be installing many extra packages or the
> ports tree (all of that I have on CD or can get via ftp/CVS).  It will
> be primarily remote managed.  The server hardware is a 100 MHz AMD K5
> with 64 MB of RAM and a 500 MB HDD.  It will be a low usage setup, not
> very many hits and will eventually be replaced by either web hosting
> or a new server.  It's connection to the internet will be via 100bTX
> ethernet to a separate gateway.
>
> My question is how much space should I allocate for each FS?  I'm
> having trouble estimating how much /tmp and /var I'll need and whether
> or not it would be worth it to place them on separate partitions from
> /usr.

If you don't place /tmp and /var on a different disk, you shouldn't
make them file systems.

Here's a rule of thumb for file system sizing:

 /     40 MB
 swap  128 to 256 MB.
 /usr  the rest of the first disk.

When you overflow the first disk, you can place a single file system
on each additional disk, unless they're so big that you wouldn't be
able to fit the entire file system on one backup tape.  Where you put
the /var files is your choice, but this way you can move things around.

> I think a 20 MB / and 96-128MB swap should be enough for now.

20 MB / is *very* small.  You might get away with 96-128 MB swap.  If
you don't, you'll have to either reinstall the system or add another
disk with a swap partition.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA.
>
> 1: I don't have a later version of FreeBSD to use, but plan on
> upgrading to a more recent release when I get the new server.

You know it's free?

Greg