Date:      Fri, 2 Apr 1999 18:47:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        ellis@kcc.com (Ellis Joshua)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AIC-7890 - can't install 3.1-RELEASE

Ellis, Joshua wrote...
> Originally posted in freebsd-questions, but this may be a more appropriate
> forum.
>
> Running ASUS P2B-S motherboard, with a PII/450.  Using the onboard AIC-7890
> controller with a Quantum Viking II 4.5WLS Ultra-LVD drive, attempting to
> install FreeBSD 3.1-RELEASE.
>
> After the full-screen visual config, it starts to load the kernel.  After
> going through the hardware detection, it gets to the point where it says,
> "waiting 15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle" or something close.  Then I
> start getting errors:
>
> Unexpected busfree.  LASTPHASE == 0x40
> SEQADDR == 0x8a
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR==0x88
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):BDR message in message buffer
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):SCB 0x0 - timed out in datain phase, SEQADDR==0x87
> (probe0:ahc0:0:0:1):no longer in timeout, status=34b
> ahc0: Issued Channel A Bus Reset. 1 SCBs aborted
>
> This block of messages is repeated ad nauseum, or at least for 10 minutes,
> when I turn the machine off.
>
> On boot-up, everything identifies itself correctly.  If I go into the
> on-board SCSI-Select utility, it identifies the hard drive, and I can run
> the low-level format, so the controller and drive appear to be
> communicating.  I've verified the drive is terminated, verified we're in LVD
> mode, and tried different SCSI IDs.  Any suggestions on what to look at
> next?

There is a known hang problem with the 7890, and it sounds like that's the
problem you have.  Justin suspects it is a hardware bug, but hasn't yet
heard back from Adaptec on a solution.  He committed a work-around,
however, that may help.

It was committed on March 22nd/23rd, so grab one of the 3.1-STABLE
snapshots that is *after* March 23rd from:

ftp://releng3.FreeBSD.ORG/pub/FreeBSD/snapshots/i386/

If you continue to have problems after trying a newer snapshot, send mail
to the SCSI list -- scsi@FreeBSD.ORG.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry