Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 03:20:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/10837: New license mechanism for ports.

The following reply was made to PR ports/10837; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@freebsd.org>
Cc: jkh@freebsd.org, asami@freebsd.org,
	nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za (Neil Blakey-Milner)
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 16:15:30 -0800

 > As far as I know, a PR can't be assigned to two parties, yet this one
 > looks like it'll need approval from both Mr Ports and Mr pkg_*.  :-)

 No offense, but I think that this can be achieved using existing
 "hooks" without adding handling for yet another special case.  In both
 the port/package systems, for example, there exists the idea of a file
 to display after the package is added.  This feature is underutilized
 at best (hardly anything uses it) and should be seriously considered
 as a "license displayer" before adding a new feature expressly for
 that purpose.

 In the future package system, I also see the "LICENSE" being a
 package/port-supplied procedure rather than a file.  That's the only
 way to do the "please click here after you've read that" or "please
 register yourself online to get these bits" sorts of functionality we
 already see commonly elsewhere in the industry.

 - Jordan