Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 12:06:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Borden <j_borden@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing on an Ultra Ata Hard drive

It is a Promise Ultra 66 controller.  The part number is 600934, if
that helps any.  A better description is at
http://www.promise.com/Products/idecards/u66.htm.
The hard drive says it is a Western Digital WD Expert 418000 EIDE.  The
invoice from Gateway says it is a 7200RPM Ultra ATA hd.
I'd like computers a lot more if they didn't have hardware.
Thank you for your time.
John Borden

On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, John Borden wrote:

> I'm trying to install 3.0 on a Gateway G6 400.  It has a 18 G ultra
ata
> hd, which is not reconized when I boot from the CD.  I type in the
> address as an IDE device, but it still doesn't work with it.  (disk
not
> found error)  I've tried to install dos 6.0 on the future freeBSD
> partition, but it won't reconize the CD drive.
> Is it possible to use the hard drive with freeBSD?  I've tried
booting
> from the floppies with equal success.

What brand/model of controller?

Doug White