Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:46:49 -0500
From:      Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Craig Steven Ugoretz <ugoretzc@csd.uwm.edu>, FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Documentation for sockets, TCP/IP

On Fri, Apr 09, 1999 at 11:00:53AM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> Get a copy of "TCP/IP Illustrated", at least volume 2, by Richard
> Stevens.  You'll find it in your local university bookshop.  It's an
> excellent book and describes the TCP/IP implementation in great
> detail.  In view of your project, you might also take a look at the
> same author's "UNIX Network Programming", which I can also heartily
> recommend.

I'll have to recommend _Internetworking with TCP/IP_ by Douglas
Comer. Volume 1 explains the protocols, Volume 2 describes an
implementation. Volume 3 describes application programming, but
this is IMO better covered in _Unix Network Programming_, Volumes
1 and 2 (still awaiting Volume 3 anxiously).

> For the complete FreeBSD source code, go to http://www.FreeBSD.org/
> and read the links.  I'm deliberately pointing you to the home page
> because you'll find a lot of things to look at there.

If you've got disk space to burn, it would be well worth it to keep
a copy of the FreeBSD CVS repository. It's around 500MB but provides
an easy and powerful interface to FreeBSD source trees, and includes
and documents every change ever made, as well as keeps track of what
release tags and branch tags exist(ed) and what they contain.

> Greg
> --
> When replying to this message, please copy the original recipients.
> For more information, see http://www.lemis.com/questions.html
> See complete headers for address, home page and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

Nathan Dorfman <nathan@rtfm.net>         The statements and opinions in my
Unix Admin @ Frontline Communications    usenet posts are mine, not FCC's.
"The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching
train." --/usr/games/fortune