Date:       9 Apr 99 15:46:25 EDT
From:      Mr.Delicious <elcoz@usa.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com
Subject:   Re: 3.1-RELEASE -- can't find CD-ROM

John Reynolds wrote:
> Sorry to rehash this again, but I cannot fathom that I'm the only perso=
n on
> =

> the earth who has seen this problem (if it's a real problem).
> =

> I am running an Asus P2B-DS, BIOS 1008, Adaptec onboard 7890 controller=

> with
> 2 Viking II LVD drives, a Toshiba CD-ROM and Yamaha CD-RW hanging from =
the
> respective outlets. As far as I know and can tell, all termination is
> correct.
> NT can see all devices and seems pretty "stable" (as far as NT goes :) =
in
> accessing them.
> =

> When I boot from the 3.1-RELEASE floppies and get to the "Media" choice=

> under sysinstall, it simply will not recognize that I've got a CD-ROM
> device
> connected to the bus. Sysinstall comes up too quickly for me to see the=

> "probe" messages for the scsi bus during boot.
> =

> Certainly somewhere in the world, somebody has an Asus P2B-DS (or a P2B=
-S
> for that matter) and has installed 3.1-RELEASE from scsi CD-ROM attache=
d to
> =

> the onboard controller. I would appreciate success stories from those w=
ho
> have! Could you please tell me which BIOS revision you have as well as =
SCSI
> =

> bios revision number. Mine is "v2.01".
> =

> Note: When I use the 3.0-RELEASE boot disks (or boot from CD-ROM via th=
> scsi BIOS) sysinstall sees the CD-ROM device(s) just fine.
> =

> Any hints at where to go from here and/or success stories with details
> would
> be much appreciated. My current thoughts are that I'm just going to hav=
e to
> =

> install 3.0-RELEASE and live with it until I can cvsup the code and try=
> find out what has broken.
> =

> On a semi-related note: Adaptec has BIOS updates for the 2940U2W boards=
 but
> =

> they say "this won't work on OEM or embedded controllers". Has anybody =
had
> the cajones to try and update the BIOS to see if they were just BS-ing
> (i.e. not wanting to support their products unless it was an 'official'=

> add-in card) or if it really fubars your system. Just curious.
> =

> Thanks!!!
> =

I've had the same problem with an Panasonic SCSI-II drive connected to an=

Adaptec 2910b controller. The way I was able to get the installation rout=
ine
to find the cdrom was to disable the internal cache, the external cache..=
=2E ALL
speed enhancing options in the BIOS.
    The only rational explanation I could come up with is that the Adapte=
driver, on some machines, does NOT wait "15 seconds for the SCSI devices =
settle", and therefore assumes that there are no SCSI devices on the syst=
em
before the poor cdrom has a chance to initialise.
    Maybe there is some problem with the way how the driver determines ho=
long is 15 seconds, at least on my system anyway.
    You could try disabling some of the PCI options in your BIOS first ( =
such
as PCI Burst). Only as a last resort did I disable the caches, because th=
en
the install took ten times as long. You can always reenable ALL the optio=
ns
after installation. My system works like a charm now.
    Oh, and by the way, hit Scroll Lock after it does the driver check an=
d use
PgUP-PageDn to see those messages that scrolled by too quickly.

Cosmo Holding.