Date:      Sun, 2 May 1999 14:24:08 +0200
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.org>
To:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
Cc:        "David E. O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc make.conf

On Sun, May 02, 1999 at 12:46:06PM +1000, John Birrell wrote:
> David E. O'Brien wrote:
> > obrien      1999/05/01 17:18:03 PDT
> >
> >   Modified files:
> >     etc                  make.conf
> >   Log:
> >   Remove NOPERL.  Seems to cause too many problems, as those that
> >   try don't understand the implications and don't think to undo it
> >   when they get experience trouble.  (wonder about some of the
> >   people running -CURRENT sometimes)
>
> Since /etc/make.conf is not updated by a `make world', this fix won't
> solve their "problem". We should remove NOPERL tests from all other
> makefiles now that markm keeps us up-to-date-ish with perl.

No, we should not.  We do NOT want to drive the developers and testers
of perl away from FreeBSD.

Besides, the perl build is broken (try typing plain 'make' in
/usr/src), and markm won't/wouldn't accept patches that fix it without
them having been tested on upgrade from 2.2, 3.0-aout and 3.0-elf,
which I've not had the time to do.

Eivind.