Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 07:40:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: i386/11681: Adaptec 2940 UW SCSI Controller BIOS 1.34.3

The following reply was made to PR i386/11681; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To: DNS Administrator <dnsadmin@aeonflux.net>
Cc: Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>,
	freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org,
	"Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 08:24:55 -0600

 >>3.  System would not boot with the timeouts ah0 0:0:0:0 thru
 >>0:0:15:0
 >>    as described in the PR.
 >
 >Well I'm humbled.  Or irritated as it may be.  The 2940UW bios 1.34.3 works
 >now on my current configuration.  I guess we'll have to stop bying the <
 >$150 motherboards and stick with only ASUS boards.  The only modification I
 >had to make was to turn off in the bios > 1 gig support for DOS.
 >Everything works fine now.  It is puzzling though why the 1.25 bios cards
 >work on the cheaper boards.  Not once have we ever had problems with them

 It's not necessarily puzzling at all.  This is probably an interraction
 between the revision of the aic7880 on the newer SCSI controllers and
 the particular PCI chipset used on the cheaper motherboards.  As I
 mentioned before, if you send me a system for a day or two, I can
 probably make it work.  This would benefit anyone using motherboards
 with that chipset...

 --
 Justin