Date:      Tue, 18 May 1999 13:21:26 -0400
From:      jcptch@osfmail.isc.rit.edu
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Apache log files

On Tue, May 18, 1999 at 08:02:11AM -0700, Robert Du Gaue wrote:

> Has anyone wrote or hacked Apache to use the syslog facility? We're in the
> process of putting up 3 web servers behind a Foundry ServerIron box that
> will load balance and serve up the same website from 3 different boxes.
> However, we want to be able to somehow direct the logs of the Apache
> servers to syslog (or some other logger) so that we can keep a common
> logfile for all the domains in one place rather then having to worry about
> merging them all on a nightly basis. As we add more servers behind the
> Foundry this will become more critical. TIA

For this type of situation, it might be worth looking into mod_log_mysql, or
similar.  Building Apache with this module allows you to log your activity to
a central database.  IMHO, it's easier to generate stats, etc. than keeping
your logs in text form.  I haven't investigated the load / performance aspect
of logging to a database, however, so it might be better or worse than syslog
in that respect.

--
Jon Parise (parise@pobox.com)  .  Rochester Inst. of Technology
http://www.pobox.com/~parise/  :  Computer Science House Member