Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 10:06:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        Dennis Ostrovsky <denis.ostrovsky@yale.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egcs....

Do not use egcs to compile the kernel or any kernel module for
any other release but the 4.0-CURRENT tree.  It will not work.
It may appear to work, but will eventually fail.  Getting it to
work correctly in the 4.0-CURRENT tree was a nontrivial exercise.

OTOH, I use egcs from the port to compile most third party
software.  (My path puts /usr/local/bin/{gcc,...} before any of
the system-furnished compilers).

Bud Dodson

Dennis Ostrovsky writes:
 > On Fri, 21 May 1999, Bill Woods wrote:
 >
 > > I was toying with the idea of using the egcs in the ports (1.1.2 I
 > > believe) on my 3.2 system. Anyone useing egcs for everyday compiliong and
 > > anyone compiled the kernel with it. What are your observations?
 > > problems...and is it just a bad idea or does it work well.
 >
 > I was under the impression that egcs would not compile the kernel properly
 > under 3.x, although it does work (I think) for the 4.0-CURRENT tree.
 >
 > Dennis

 >     Dennis Ostrovsky ** Department of Chemistry ** Yale University
 >
 > E-mail: den@master.chem.yale.edu     WWW: http://pantheon.yale.edu/~do33

M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790