Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 15:32:02 +0200
From:      Pierre Beyssac <beyssac@enst.fr>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

On Tue, Jun 01, 1999 at 03:02:47PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     I think keepalive's could easily be turned on by default.  At BEST, one
>     of the first things I did 5 years ago was to turn them on permanently
>     on all of our machines.

I'd like to disagree on the "by default" part, on the following
assumptions:

	1.	If you turn on keepalive by default, you will
		have to increase the keepalive timeout value
		well over the current 2 hours (at least that's what
		most people suggest to alleviate the concerns
		about having keepalives on)
	2.	Changing this default value of 2 hours will affect
		ALL applications. Many of them (and their users)
		are more or less expecting a 2 hours value. For
		example that's the case for Telnet: probably you
		don't want to wait for ONE WEEK before a connection
		dies if you are currently using keepalives!

I don't see what this fuss is all about. If for _some_ big servers
there are many dead connections around after a while (*), why don't
THEY use a sysctl at boot-time to change the default state, rather
than impose on the rest of us a change that might not be as innocuous
as it looks?

(*) In theory, for a FTP server, most such connections will be
    when the user does a PUT, not a GET. In a GET, the server has
    data to push and will timeout anyway. In the case of the control
    connection, there's a application timeout in most ftpds who
    close the connection after some configurable amount of time.

>     This used to be a HUGE argument in the days where networks were less
>     reliable and dialup lines were scarse.  It is not an argument now,
>     however.

Go explain that to my cable provider :-). Keeping a long-lived
connection through them is a real challenge; keepalives on would
make my life even more difficult.

>     Whatever we do, we should not start messing around with the internals
>     of the kernel trying to 'fix' a non-problem.  Keepalives work just dandy
>     as they are currently implemented, we do not have to mess with it beyond
>     possibly changing the default in rc.conf.

"possibly", but *only* as a last resort if there are good reasons
for it, IMHO. But I haven't seen any such reason yet.

I also think that having at least a kernel-wide (or better, having
it configurable on a per-socket basis), dynamically configurable
keepalive would be a good thing.
--
Pierre Beyssac		pb@enst.fr