Date:      Sat, 5 Jun 1999 20:57:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RE: net.inet.tcp.always_keepalive on as default ?

<<On Sat, 5 Jun 1999 20:13:56 -0400 (EDT), Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org> said:

>> If they are spaced too far apart, it is possible for perfectly
>> legitimate connections to get shot down as a result of external
>> periodicities.  (Does somebody's router reset every day at 2:45?  If
>> so, better hope no keepalives are scheduled for then!)

> But remember that the idea is the keepalive would keep trying for a certain
> amount of time, and this would be finely configureable.

This wouldn't help the poor sod whose connection gets shot down every
eight days while he's not there and doesn't know what hit him.

A fundamental principle of protocol design is that synchronization
effects can arise totally unexpectedly, with dangerous consequences
for the stability of the Internet as a whole.  It is necessary to
introduce some amount of randomness in order to break up this
unintentional synchronization.  Modern (post-Van Jacobson) TCP is not
directly subject to this effect unless you do something stupid like
cause TCP to send a packet like clockwork every X units of time!
(TCP can still fall prey to self-synchronization in the applications
running on top of it, which is one of the reasons why routers are
strongly encouraged to implement a RED queueing discipline by
default.)

I would withdraw my objection if keepalives were fixed to use a
random distribution over [t - t/2, t + t/2].

-GAWollman