Date:      Sun, 13 Jun 99 08:52:56 +0000
From:      w1@syrex.cc
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Memory and Addressing Protection

Hi there,

Sorry to bug you, I'm sure you have much better things to do than to answer
questions like this, but I would really appreciate any help you can offer. I
write a technical e-zine that focuses largely on security in computing issues.

Over the past two issues I have described how memory protection worked in
primitive Operating Systems, like MS-DOS and Multics. I have covered the use
of fence registers, bounds registers, segmentation, paging, and paging on top
of segmentation. I would like to move on to how memory protection in more
advanced and modern Operating Systems works and, amongst others, how FreeBSD
Memory Protection works.

My CD-ROM Drive is broken, and as a result, I can't get FreeBSD source onto
my home PC to analyze it. :( Could you please give me a technical overview
of how FreeBSD Memory Protection works? If you're busy, you can delay
answering this message for a few weeks, but I would appreciate a reply some
time this month if at all possible.

Thanks a Lot,
Andrew