Date:      Sat, 26 Jun 1999 20:01:29 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely.de>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Aaron Smith <aaron-fbsd@mutex.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ufs/ffs resize?

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 02:15:01PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :anybody done any work on a utility for growing ufs filesystems?
> :
> :aaron
>
>     It has been brought up a couple of times but nobody has tried
>     to do actually it.  Personally, I think it would be a doable
>     project if someone wanted to have a go at it - to allow a filesystem
>     to be grown or shrunk on a cylinder-by-cylinder basis.  The only real
>     complexity occurs when you are shrinking a filesystem - you have to locate
>     the inodes & indirect blocks associated with allocated data blocks
>     in the cylinder you are trying to remove in order to move the blocks.
Thats a point you still have to do if you grow a fs - but you don't need
to relocate inode but only data-blocks.
That's because each cg has a summary information of some bytes which
are duplicated at the beginning of the fs in the first cg.
In some cases you will need one or more additional blocks in the first cg.
unfortunately these are garantied to allocated in case of the first use for
the /-dir.
Depeneding on what Kirk McKusik wrote this summary information must be of
full size.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de                                      info@cosmo-project.de