Date:      Tue, 29 Jun 1999 14:09:23 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Linux vs. NT, take 2.]

On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 01:29:51PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > Is there any validity to the discussion on -hackers that real-world
> > application performance doesn't corroborate the poor benchmark results
> > (as far as FreeBSD is concerned)?  I'm less concerned that benchmarks
>
> Plenty.  Netbench is notorious for not actually testing the load
> balancing abilities or performance degradation curve as the number of
> users increases, both important factors in "real life" testing.

Another factor that is not taken into account in any benchmark is
general OS stability.  NT may be able to kick our butts in some
application performance tests, but can they continue to deliver that
performance for a year without administrative intervention?  I
doubt that most NT boxen are anywhere near that stable.  Uptime
and platform stability is as important as performance.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                     "Software is like sex; it's better
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com               when it's free."  -- Linus Torvalds