Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:52:39 -0700
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   maxfiles == maxfilesperproc ?

hax0rs,

In sys/conf/param.c (in -STABLE), both maxfiles and maxfilesperproc are
set equal to MAXFILES.  This doesn't make much sense to me. It seems that
maxfiles should be set to be greater than maxfilesperproc by default, so
that one process can't consume all of the file descriptors.

I noticed this while building a system that will be running some very
large processes with many open files, so set maxfilesperproc on that box
equal to MAXFILES - 512, but this metric is not appropriate for systems
with small MAXUSERS (like GENERIC).  So...

1.  Should maxfiles be, by default, larger than maxfilesperproc?

2.  If so, how much is necessary and appropriate?

Regards,

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                       "How do I read this file?"
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com                "You uudecode it."