Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 09:33:36 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        jakob@ostenfeld.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum boot support

On Tuesday,  3 August 1999 at 23:15:12 +0200, jakob@ostenfeld.dk wrote:

> Hi BSD'ers !
>
> I'm in need of some help or suggestions regarding a setup
> with FreeBSD on a machine with two IDE disks.
>
> I want to run RAID-1 on those disks, and I'm pretty sure I
> can do that with Vinum. However, it's not clear to me whether
> I can make the system boot on the logical RAID-1 volume.
>
> Is it possible ?

No.  It's the top of the wish list, and as soon as I have time I'll
get to it.

> How ?

Nohow.

> The Vinum docs say it's not recommended to have Vinum directly
> in the kernel (it should instead be a loadable module). Now, I
> would expect that this means that I cannot boot on a Vinum
> volume.  Why isn't it recommended ?

It's not recommended because I think it's better to have a modular
kernel.  It has no effect on whether you can use a Vinum volume as the
root file system: you can load modules at boot time.

> I have a final question with which I do not intend to start
> a flame war...  How can I expect FreeBSD disk I/O performance
> to compare to Linux disk I/O performance ?

Well.

> Especially with regards to stat() and fsync() ?

I wasn't aware of any issues here.  Of course, you will want to
minimize the number of calls, no matter which system you use.

Greg