Date:      Wed, 4 Aug 1999 12:13:47 -0600
From:      Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   NSS Project update

After collecting a bunch of emails from the list, this is the
approach I'll be taking:

1. use the existing nsdispatch code obtained from NetBSD as a base
   for parsing the /etc/nsswitch.conf file.

2. Make the C library nsdispatch aware. The dtab[] array will be
   filled dynamicaly from the contents of /etc/nsswitch.conf.
   I'm still not sure if this has to be done "whithin" the C library
   or if nsdispatch should fill the dtab[] array itself and not relay
   on the caller (i.e. drop the dtab[] parameter). It seems to me at
   this point that the easiest approach is to have nsdispatch fill the
   dtab array itself.
3. Move the current implementation of the get*ent and get*by* from the
   C library to three dynamically loaded modules, namely: nss_files.so,
   nss_nis.so, and nss_dns.so
4. Add more nss_*.so modules for things like LDAP, etc.

once again: comments, suggestions.

Someone mentioned that we should still be able to produce statically linked
binaries for things like /stand and /sbin. I suggest making the nsdispatch
(or get* functions) revert to files if everything else fails (not the
modules themselves, but the loading of the modules). How does this sound?

Regards,

-Oscar

--
For PGP Public Key: finger obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu