Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 10:30:26 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Johan Rydberg <johan.rydberg@netinsight.se>
Cc:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Free BIOS project!

This is, pardon my saying it, a Really Dumb Idea.

Firmware is tailored specifically to the hardware it runs on.  There's a
good reason why the 'OpenBIOS' folks haven't gotten anywhere over three
years; the task is just not feasible unless you have a specific subset
of systems that you want to target, and full cooperation from the
vendor.

If you doubt me, go look at what happened to Microid Research.

> I'm thinking of starting a free BIOS project
> that will result in some form of firmware or
> something simular. =

> =

> You may think "why create a new project, when
> there's already one (OpenBIOS)". There's one
> reason: I don't like thier projekt. To much doing
> nothing.
> =

> Some requirments: =

>         * It should fit into a 256KB EPROM
>         * Should be able to boot kernels from hd =

>           or net
>         * Uses both serial and normal console.
>         * Compatible with standard chipsets.
> =

> Any ideas or comments?
> =

> =

> -- =

> Johan Rydberg           Software System Designer
> Net Insight AB          johan.rydberg@netinsight.net
> Ingenj=F6rsv=E4gen 3        http://www.netinsight.net
> SE-117 43 STOCKHOLM     phone:+46-8-685 04 16
> Sweden                  fax:  +46-8-449 22 40
> 			mob: +46-704-53 57 21
> =

> =

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-small" in the body of the message

-- =

\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org
\\    -- Joseph Merrick           \\  msmith@cdrom.com