Date:      Thu, 05 Aug 1999 23:46:55 -0600
From:      Chris Fedde <cfedde@sendmail.com>
To:        Dutch Collins <dutch@charm.net>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X under FreeBSD and Linux

I think it is cool that you get usefull work out of a 486.  Still
swapping is a nightmare especially for big graphical applications
like netscape.  I say bump the memory as much as you can.  It is
the cheepest way to better performance for any cofiguration.  Most
late 486 boards will take at least 64Meg ram.

I see 32Meg 72pin EDO going for a couple bucks.  And 486 motherboards
going for $30 to $50.  Max the memory and over clock like crazy.

Maybe your experiance is different
chris

Dutch Collins writes:

    On may 486 at 100Mz, 32Mb, KDE+netscape == Win98+netscape. However, I like
    to crunch seti numbers, oops, netscape page faults like a M*^^%*. I need an
    article, reference book, something, about load balancing. Maybe I can find
    some RAM under the table but I don't think so. Icky stuff for me. Never had
    to run the VMS system I was on.

    -d

__
Chris Fedde	  <cfedde@sendmail.com>