Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:20:11 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        "Coelho, Joao@EDD" <JCoelho@edd.ca.gov>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help out.

Joao,

Please excuse the amount of time it's taken for me to reply to this, things
have been somewhat hectic on the -doc front recently.

On Tue, Aug 10, 1999 at 12:56:58PM -0700, Coelho, Joao@EDD wrote:
> While I virtually know nothing about BSD or Unix.  I have worked with Xenix
> on a programming assignment for a job, and at home with coherent now dead ,
> I figured that the best way to learn more is to do something like this.  If
> you think my inexperience is usable I am interested.  Let me know.
> My home email address is: jtcoelho@msn.com <mailto:jtcoelho@msn.com>

Thanks for getting in touch.  Given that you say you're new to BSD and
Unix, there's a vast number of ways in which you could be able to help.
And they're all because of your inexperience.

A lot of our documentation is (inevitably) written by people who have
some mastery of the subject they're documenting.  This means (and I'm as
guilty of this as anyone) that sometimes the documentation manages to skip
over steps that (to the author) are obvious, or omits information that
the author thinks "everyone knows".

You will undoubtedly find this as you use the available documentation to
learn how to use FreeBSD.  Probably the most valuable thing you can do when
this happens is (a) ask questions about the problem you're finding on the
appropriate mailing list (which will almost certainly be
questions@FreeBSD.org) and then (b) take those answers, and submit
corrections and clarifications to the documentation, based on what worked
for you.

The best way to submit changes and requests is using the send-pr(1) program
which is installed with FreeBSD.  Detailed instructions on how to actually
do this can be found at http://www.FreeBSD.org/docproj/submitting.html.

Welcome to the FreeBSD Documentation Project!  I look forward to seeing
your first changes and clarifications.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>