Date:      Sun, 29 Aug 1999 10:51:15 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        nakai@internetsolutions.co.jp
Subject:   Re: Why libglade is broken

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 09:17:07PM +0900, owner-freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG wrote:

> I want to know what environment the liblade port is broken.
> (4.0-current?)
> I comment out the BROKEN line and build successfully.

Ok.  Here's the deal.

devel/libglade generates two libraries, libglade.so and libglade-gnome.so
with the second dependent on functionality in the first.

On the initial upgrade, everything worked fine for both myself
(under -stable and -current) and Jeremy Lea (who also provided a chunk
of input into those updates).

However, a couple of other people (including Steve Price who took over
the responsbility of committing the GNOME megapatch) had some weird
build problems, which we finally tracked down to libtool not doing
the right thing with (-rpath <dir> --> -Wl,--rpath -Wl,<dir>) for
mode=link (the write up was sent to ports a while back -- check the
archives).

It's a particularly odd problem, since it only appears to affect
a few people, and we've found no rhyme or reason as to the differences.
The exact same port works for some people, but not others.  For my part,
I've rebuilt a few test systems (both -stable and -current, bootstrapped
from 3.2-RELEASE and/or the current (at the time) snaps), and have been
unable to reproduce the problem

I have a (truly disgusting) quick hack to libtool to make it do the
right thing, but I'm waiting to hear back comments from Jeremy, since
it may have wide-reaching ramifications to all ports that use
devel/libtool.

> My environment is 3.2-RELEASE + 32 upgrade kit +
>  the cvs synced /usr/ports.
> And how the problem is with the newer libglade, 0.4?

The problem isn't with devel/libglade per se (I have the 0.4 update
ready for a send-pr), but with devel/libtool.  And again, only for
some systems.

I suppose we could remove the BROKEN tag from devel/libglade (and
put math/gnumeric back into the gnome metaport), but it _will not_
work for some people.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.