Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 23:04:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Incoming Mail List <mailist@whoweb.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ipfw/natd won't resolve hostnames

I have a typical public/private network configuration using
FreeBSD 3.0 and 2 NICS.  One NIC connects to a cable modem
and the other to my private network.  Ipfw and natd are being
used to provide the private network with access to the outside
world via the cable modem.  For testing purposes my only two
ipfw rules are the natd divert and wide open accept from any
to any rules.  Natd in verbose mode shows that translations
are occuring.

My problem is that the private network can only reach the
outside world if I specify IP addresses.  Name resolution
is not occuring when hostnames are specified.  The
resolv.conf file seems to be set up properly with name
servers from the ISP.  Name resolution occurs fine from the
FreeBSD box.

I've read various mail and articles describing the use of
DNS for configurations such as this one, but I swear a few
months ago this exact same configuration was working fine
using only the ISP's nameservers as specified in the
resolv.conf file.  I did put an outside IP/hostname in the
/etc/hosts file to see if that would help, but it didn't.

What am I missing in my configuration that is preventing
name resolution?  All machines on the private network are
WIN95 systems.  The FreeBSD is acting as the gateway/firewall
to the outside world.

Jon