Date:      Wed, 22 Sep 1999 12:48:56 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Ivan <Ivan.Djelic@prism.uvsq.fr>, Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Out of swap handling and X lockups in 3.2R

> > Maybe, and then again, maybe not.  A program is requesting memory, so
> > putting other processes to sleep *keeps* them from freeing up memory.
>
> The process that is trying to use memory is put to sleep.

Then this 'rogue' process is never allowed to free up any of it's
resources, hence the system is *still* out of swap, and all of the
non-offending processes must deal with the out-of-memory situation they
haven't caused, nor can they do anything about it.

So, now we have a system that just takes longer to completely die off
due to lack of resources since we've stopped the biggest offender from
getting bigger.

(Also, it turns out that often enough the process that requests the page
that drives the system over the edge is not in fact the rogue process,
thus causing the system to slowly become unusable with no way of
recovering.)

I'd much rather my system die quickly than slowly, since by dying
quickly I can get back to work much quicker instead of not getting any
work done for a long period of time.

Nate