Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 19:12:04 +0800 (WST)
From:      Michael Kennett <mike@laurasia.com.au>
To:        asmodai@wxs.nl (Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Developer assessment (was Re: A bike shed ...)

On a slight tangent, I've just gone back and reread Greg Lehey's
'How to get best results from FreeBSD-questions'. It's a great document,
covering a lot of the etiquette for the freebsd-questions mailing list.
It can be found at:

    http://www.lemis.com/questions.html

However, the document doesn't really cover how 'newbies' (I hate that
term :-) can find information for themselves. There is a huge amount of
information on the internet -- too much, really -- and having a list
of selected references could help people help themselves.

This 'how-to-help-yourself' document wouldn't have to be long. But it
could contain references to the FreeBSD handbook, the FAQ, and other
stuff that people put together (eg. Gregs pages on vinum, Brian Somers
pages on ppp, + many others), in addition to some general internet
resources (eg. www.faqs.org), and general unix introductions.
Ideally, this 'meta-FAQ' would only be a few pages in length. It's role
would be as a quick signpost to material that people have found useful
before.

I just did a quick check on www.faqs.org, and there were *no* faqs
posted for FreeBSD on that site (at least that I could find). I think it
would certainly be worthwhile to have a FAQ listed on that site.

I'd appreciate feedback on this. I'm willing to collate material and host
such a FAQ (with the advance warning that I have *lousy* HTML skills:-).
Please suggest any information or worthy sites that you think of.

Looking forward to your comments,

Mike 'forever-a-newbie-willing-to-learn' Kennett
(mike@laurasia.com.au)