Date:      Sat, 16 Oct 1999 08:23:23 +1000
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world issues

On Fri, Oct 15, 1999 at 04:11:12PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <19991016075251.D67481@freebsd1.cimlogic.com.au> John Birrell writes:
> : 'make' knows about MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH. 'sysctl' can tell us what
> : the kernel thinks it is. We should stick to using these.
>
> When I added TARGET_ARCH and TARGET I did it so that a make could be
> built that hard wired MACHINE and MACHINE_ARCH in the right way so
> that the tools could be built.  Right now w/o them you have to have
> your own, hand built cross compile tools.

I don't. I just build a cross-compiler and a cross-assembler during the
host `make world'. All the other tools are just the normal host tools (with
the extra BFD formats if they are binutils tools). If sys.mk detects that
I am cross-compiling it munges the things that are required to get the
binutils programs to use the desired target format.

> : To cross-build, I don't need to set so many things. On i386, I just:
> :
> : export MACHINE=alpha
> : export MACHINE_ARCH=alpha
> : make world
> :
> : There are a few commits I will make RSN to allow others to do this too.
>
> Hmmmm, I'd be keen on reviewing them.

I'll package them up when I get a chance. I need to send the gcc/egcs
makefile hierarchy to David O'Brien for review anyway.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
               john.birrell@opendirectory.com.au