Date:      Sun, 31 Oct 1999 23:50:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/14623: packet loss on gigabit network

The following reply was made to PR kern/14623; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To: jlemon@flugsvamp.com (Jonathan Lemon)
Cc: bugs@FreeBSD.ORG, FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 00:44:04 -0700 (MST)

 Jonathan Lemon wrote...
 > Upon further investigation, this appears to be a bit-pattern problem.
 > Attached is a file which refuses to transfer via a "ftp get".  (The
 > smallest part of a /kernel file that I can figure out which will
 > reproduce the problem).
 >
 > Are there any known issues with either the Netgear switch or Alteon card?

 I haven't had any problems with the Alteon boards.  I would suspect the
 switch.  If you want to be sure that the card isn't at fault, get two, put
 them back to back, and ftp the file from one machine to another.

 I tried ftping your 'badfile' between two machines with 512K ACEnic boards
 (connected by fiber, no switch in between) and had no trouble:

 ftp> bin
 200 Type set to I.
 ftp> get badfile
 200 PORT command successful.
 150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'badfile' (12288 bytes).
 100% |**************************************************| 12288       00:00 ETA
 226 Transfer complete.
 12288 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (12.07 MB/s)
 ftp>

 I also haven't had any trouble with these boards and an Alteon ACEswitch
 180.

 So I would suspect the switch.  Taking it out of the loop, if possible,
 might confirm whether or not it is the problem.

 Ken
 --
 Kenneth Merry
 ken@kdm.org