Date:      Thu, 04 Nov 1999 13:11:20 -0800
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, jmb@hub.freebsd.org, adsharma@home.com, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current-users@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD FibreChannel support

On Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:44:34 -0800 (PST)
 Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> wrote:

 > Well, don't laugh too hard, but so does Qlogic in a sense. I've just recently
 > had to remove their f/w from the NetBSD and FreeBSD CVS repositories because
 > the copyright was not so good. And in order to get the technical manuals that
 > describe the f/w interface you have to sign an NDA.

...yet in OpenBSD, you commit something completely different, with the
following commit message:

     roll internal revision levels and enable 1080 support

...and as anyone can plainly see by looking at the following URL:

     http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/dev/microcode/isp/asm_pci.h?r1=1.3&r2=1.4

...you simply placed a BSD-style copyright/license on it:

 /*
  * Copyright (c) 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998 by Qlogic Corporation
+ *
+ * Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
+ * modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions
+ * are met:
+ * 1. Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
+ *    notice immediately at the beginning of the file, without modification,
+ *    this list of conditions, and the following disclaimer.
+ * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright
+ *    notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the
+ *    documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.
+ * 3. The name of Qlogic may not be used to endorse or promote products
+ *    derived from this software without specific prior written permission.
+ *
+ * THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY QLOGIC ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESS OR
+ * IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED
+ * WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE
+ * ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHOR OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR
+ * ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
+ * DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS
+ * OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION)
+ * HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT
+ * LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY
+ * OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF
+ * SUCH DAMAGE.
  */

What gives?  Why wasn't this committed to the NetBSD and FreeBSD trees,
too?  I mean, it's not like the version in the NetBSD tree works anymore
since you removed the firmware (on-board firmware on most of the adapters
I have is way too old, for example).

Any reason NetBSD and FreeBSD don't just lift the firmware images you
committed to OpenBSD?