Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 1999 18:29:40 -0500
From:      Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>
To:        Wolfram Schneider <wosch@panke.de.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, www@FreeBSD.ORG, jfieber@FreeBSD.ORG

Thanks for the reply.  I did some more research it it is pretty
clear that there really is something wrong with the search tool...

Lets call this message A: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?db=mid&id=199911111407.JAA20011@rwwa.com

Message A has the word "userconfig" in the subject and the text of the
messages, and the string "withrow" in the headers.

Search in questions, sorted by date, getting 25 results, for the
word "userconfig".  Right now, #22 is my mail message A above.  Notice
the date listed for the message:

  22.Robert Wit Userconfig settings still not saved in 3.3R?
       Score: 566; Lines: 43; 30-Aug-1996; Archive: freebsd-questions

Re-run this query asking for "userconfig AND withrow".  Right now,
#3 is my mail message A above. Notice the date for the *same* mail
message this time:

  3.Robert Wit Userconfig settings still not saved in 3.3R?
       Score: 566; Lines: 43; 12-Nov-1999; Archive: freebsd-questions

I think something weird is happening in the search utility that is
corrupting dates!

For even more fun, search for "withrow" varying the number of results
allowed.  The date of message A changes each time!

5.Robert Wit Userconfig settings still not saved in 3.3R?
       Score: 943; Lines: 43; 12-Jun-1998; Archive: freebsd-questions
10.Robert Wit Userconfig settings still not saved in 3.3R?
       Score: 943; Lines: 43; 21-Jun-1996; Archive: freebsd-questions
25.Robert Wit Userconfig settings still not saved in 3.3R?
       Score: 943; Lines: 43; 18-Jun-1996; Archive: freebsd-questions

The bottom line is that this problem is making messages show up
in semi-random places in the output, making it *appear* that they
weren't found!

Any idea what's wrong?

--
Robert Withrow -- (+1 978 288 8256)