Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 21:05:49 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reply to Kevin Day

Kevin,

The Apache+SSL problem you are having devolves down into:

Genesis:${PWD##}> cd ..; gcc  -funsigned-char -DTARGET=\"httpsd\"
-DUSE_EXPAT -I./lib/expat-lite -DAPACHE_SSL      helpers/dummy.c -o helpers/dummy -lcrypt -L/usr/local/lib -lcrypto -lssl
/usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so: undefined reference to `ERR_load_RSAREF_strings'
/usr/local/lib/libcrypto.so: undefined reference to `RSA_PKCS1_RSAref'

The Configure program is running a "test compile" which attempts to link
using the crypto and ssl libraries.  THESE LIBRARIES ARE MISSING TWO
EXTERNAL REFERENCES, which is why its blowing up.

This is one of the *DEPENDANCIES* for the Apache program - it sound like
something has gotten out of sync between Openssl and the Apache version
involved.

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: http://childrens-justice.org
Isn't it time we started putting KIDS first?  See the above URL for
a plan to do exactly that!