Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 13:22:28 -0700
From:      match@elen.utah.edu
To:        current@freebsd.org, Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Subject:   Re: Port of ext2fs fsck

On 23 Dec 99, at 12:26, Donn Miller wrote:

> installed RedHat Linux on there.  Basically, that disk had 3
> Linux partitions:
>
> 120M 		/	/dev/hdb1
> 120M		swap	/dev/hdb5
> ~800MB		/usr	/dev/hdb6
>
> Anyhow, when I do fdisk /dev/rad1, FBSD's fsck only sees 2
> partitions.  Partition one is the 120M / partition, which I can
> mount OK.  But, fdisk claims the 2nd partition is a 920 MB
> extended DOS partition.

This is correct. RedHat created one primary partition and mounted
it as /  Then created one extended partition and divided the
extended partition into two logical partitions for swap and /usr
same as DOS would have done. This is because Linux (or DOS)
could only deal with a maximum of 4 "real" partitions originally. I
don't know if that's changed for Linux or not.

The 4 partition limit still exists for Microsoft, but then they don't
really understand partitioning the same way we do, nor do they
need to.

FreeBSD fsck will only recognize the two "real" partitions and not
the klugey "logical" partitions contained within the extended one.

Can Linux find your FreeBSD partitions?

If so, You might try partitioning and labeling the disk with FreeBSD
first, including the partitions Linux will use, then when you install
Linux, modify the disklabel rather than letting RedHat create it for
you.

Better still, buy another hard drive.   :-)

Regarding the way RedHat partitioned the disk for you, it kinda
depends upon how you're going to use the machine. Sometimes
when I must install multiple OS's I'm forced to install linux in only
two partitions mounted / and swap!

Marvin