Date:      Mon, 03 Jun 1996 08:26:41 -0400
From:      Richard Robinson <rich@nombas.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble installing FreeBSD release 2.1.0

Hello. I have just got my hands on your FreeBSD 2.1 CD-ROM and tried
to install it on my system. After some time, I finally got to the
'reboot now' stage. Upon rebooting, System Commander detected FreeBSD
correctly (I later tried with the supplied Boot Manager, with the same
behaivor so this is not the problem.) I had installed it on the
first partition of my second hard drive. Both hard drives are IDE,
and the BSD installation had called them 'wd0' and 'wd2'. I got to
the boot: prompt, hit return and it loaded the kernel and detected
my hardware. Then I got a Panic because changing root device to wd1a
had failed.

Well, of course, I don't have a wd1a. So I tried to use the boot
prompt (which I still have been unable to find any documentation
on) to boot from wd2a. I tried this, my best guess:

wd(2,a)/kernel

Unfortunately, all that caused is this error message to be repeated
over and over again:

Error: C:0 H:0 S:0

So, do you have any suggestions on how I can get this to boot my
configuration? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Robinson                       rich@nombas.com
     "There is no right; there is only power..."