Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 2000 10:27:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        tom@embt.com (Tom Embt)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I will never trust NBC news again!

Tom Embt wrote,
> At 20:36 01/05/2000 -0500, Crist J. Clark wrote:
> >Tom Embt wrote,

> of mine
> >> so...

> >> And I thought the millenium was at
> >>
> >> Tue Jan 19 03:14:06 GMT 2038
> >
> >ITYM, "Armageddon." And I thought it was at,
> >
> >% date -ur 2147483647
> >Tue Jan 19 03:14:07 GMT 2038
> >--
> >Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@home.com
> >

> It would be Armageddon for ankone who is still using a 32bit OS at that
> time, otherwise it's just a big "rollover" when we start using the next
> bit.  At least, it sounds good to me..

Being a 32-bit OS really has nothing directly to do with it. You can
easily write code to handle arbitrarily large numbers. The origin of a
32-bit counter is the same as the mythical Y2k bug. Thirty-two bits
seemed big enough at the time (almost 70 years after all), memory was
at a premium, and it was just kinda convenient.

What it takes to fix this is that every program that assumes time_t
to be a four-byte int needs to be fixed so that it makes no
assumptions about time_t other than it is an integer-type. Once that
is done, a 32-bit, 64-bit, 16-bit, or 12-bit OS will all be happy with
a counter of whatever size we want.

> BTW, I *think* it would be 2^31-1 not 2^31.  For example, doesn't a char
> store values from -128 to 127 ?

Yes and yes. But,

 ( (2^31 - 1) == 2147483647 )

That is what I had. And just for date(1) trivia buffs, note that,

% date -ur -2147483648
Fri Dec 13 20:45:52 GMT 1901