Date:      Sat, 8 Jan 2000 18:09:05 +0700
From:      John Indra <m4v3r1ck@bigfoot.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Newbie has a lot of questions...

Hi list readers... =)

I'm new to both this list and FreeBSD. I have a lot of questions and I
have decided to ask them in one long mail ( *sorry* ) considering waste
caused by my message headers if I ask one question in one mail.

First of all, I'm Indonesian, so English definitely is not my mother
language. Thus I beg your pardon for my vocab and grammatical errors.

I'm a novice sysadmin. I administer a small network with Red Hat Linux
as the core server (web, mail, and database). Have been interested with
FreeBSD for a long time, so I decided to give it a try. I had my FreeBSD
CD-ROM on Dec 31st 1999 and decided to delete a Linux partition and
place FreeBSD over it. Know what really attract me to try FreeBSD? The
daemon... ;) so... here's my first question: what's Mr D'mon name? I
can't find it on the FAQ... Maybe this question (and answer) could be
included in the future FAQ ;)

Ok... now... to get to real business...

I understand that there is a runlevel concept in Linux. I believe that
this was inherited from SysV. Are there any runlevel concept on FreeBSD
or *BSD variant in general?
What is the boot sequence in FreeBSD? Till now, this is what I
understand:
Bootstrap -> /kernel -> /sbin/init -> read /etc/rc* -> invoke gettys ->
login. Is my understanding correct?

AFAIK all Linux distribution use bash as their default shell. So when I
got csh as my default root shell, I panic! Can anyone teach me how to
use csh? I don't need to know the details, I just need to know whether
csh can cycle through all the commands I've executed (in bash, I can use
the up and down arrow), and does csh support command/filename
completion. If yes, how do I get it? (what key do I need to press? In bash,
we use tab to complete command/filename)

When I login as root on ttyv*, or if I login as normal user and then I
su - to root, I got double "message". One outputed to /var/log/messages
and the other outputed to my monitor (ttyv*). How can I omit the output
to my ttyv? I am used to Red Hat's behaviour in that messages from
kernel never shows up on my console...

# gnuls -Al --color=auto /lkm
total 0
What's the difference between /lkm and /modules?
I've recompile my kernel and now, /kernel size is only 1223818 (almost
half of the generic stock kernel). Is this size not too big? Sorry,
cause I'm used to aproximately only 400 KB size of /boot/vmlinuz. Are
there other ways I should now to reduce my /kernel size and in the mean
time, keep my hardware working properly. I've included options LKM in my
kernel config, but that doesn't seem to reduce the size. Or... am I
missing some steps similar to make modules ; make modules_install in
Linux? I hope I didn't skip steps similar to that when I compiled my
/kernel. I do config NAMEOFMYKERNEL ; cd ../../compile/NAMEOFMYKERNEL ;
make depend; make ; make install
Oh yeah... this really bugs me ;) What's the meaning of make world?

# modstat
modstat: /dev/lkm: Device not configured
What should I do to make it work? I'm using FreeBSD 3.4 on Intel Pentium
200 MMX...

How do I start single user mode?

And... one last question... for the moment ;)
I have an Intel Pentium III 450 MHz running on ASUS P3BF motherboard
with ATX power supply. I have included APM support in my /kernel. But
everytime I halt my system it won't shutdown automatically. Is this
normal?

Thanks a lot...

Regards,
John Indra -- ICQ UIN #26095019