Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 16:53:43 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Alex Charalabidis <alex@wnm.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: NetWare/BorderManager vs FreeBSD/squid

In the last episode (Jan 13), Alex Charalabidis said:
> I've been asked (almost told) to install an as yet unspecified
> version of Netware with an as yet unspecified flavour of
> bordermanager to serve as a caching proxy. How does FreeBSD with
> squid (or any other species of mollusc) compare to Novell's monster
> creations?

Depends on workload.  http://bakeoff.ircache.net is an URL for a
proxy-cache competition that was held early last year.  Prices for the
systems tested ranged from $200K to $3K, and pages/sec from 1600 to 96.
See the results at http://bakeoff.ircache.net/N01/report.pdf.  The
small Novell/Dell box cost $13K and could do 400 requests/sec.  The
squid entry cost $3K and did 96 req/sec.  See the appendices for
details of each machine tested, and comments.

> I'd like an unbiased comparison but could also use one that gave me
> ammunition to shoot the project down. :) If they're one and the same,
> so much the better. Software cost is NOT an issue in this case. I'm
> going by the assumption that Novell is not better, just more gooey...

If you're not planning on serving more than a couple hundred client
machines, squid will work great.  The Novell boxes handled high load
much more gracefully, though,

According to their web-page, the next Bakeoff is going to be from Jan
17-28, so you might want to see what happens there before deciding on a
platform.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com