Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:59:03 +0100
From:      Martin Welk <mw@theatre.sax.de>
To:        Sam Hays <sam@ecofl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more specifics on my shell issues

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 09:19:48AM -0600, Sam Hays wrote:

> I'm defaulting as csh,
> I'm (for right now) wanting to go to /bin/sh, rather than /bin/csh,
> my understanding was that you can edit your ~/.profile (or something
> similar) to change your
> default shell? or am I going to have to pull a passwd -s /bin/sh or
> something?
>
> maybe that'll help in answering both questions?

Look at the chsh/chpass(1), passwd(5) man pages. You have to change the
/etc/passwd entry for the user you want the shell to be changed, either
by using vipw (editing the whole file as root in a ee or vi editor) or
by using chsh (_ch_ange _sh_ell) when logged in as the user who wants
to do so.

You can only use shells validated by entries in /etc/shells, which is
always done for /bin/sh and /bin/csh and also by shells installed
through the ports/packages mechanism, like bash (/usr/local/bin/bash)
or others.

Regards,

Martin
--
,,You know, there's a lot of opportunities, if you're knowing to take them,
        you know, there's a lot of opportunities, if there aren't