Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:45:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        sameh@fr.clara.net (Sameh Ghane)
Cc:        scrappy@hub.org (The Hermit Hacker), freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: icmp-response bandwidth limit 103/100 pps

> Le Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 09:40:10AM -0400, The Hermit Hacker _crivit:
> >
> > I just want to confirm ... this means I'm being ping-flooded, or?
>
> Ping-flooded, or port-scanned, or too many connections to a port
> with no daemon listening...
>
> >  its a
> > near-continuous stream and makes it difficult to do anything on the
> > console :(  Is there a way of getting rid of it?
>
> remove the line:
> options		ICMP_BANDLIM

Do not remove that option, if you are infact being hit by stream.c
or any of the other later attacks removing this will make it a far
worse DOS.

> in your kernel config file, or tell syslog not to print kernel
> messages to the console.

Or better yet get ipfw/ipfilter setup and find and filter what is
causing the problem.

Rod Grimes - KD7CAX @ CN85sl - (RWG25)               rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net