Date:      Sat, 29 Jan 2000 21:26:17 +0900
From:      KATO Takenori <kato@ganko.eps.nagoya-u.ac.jp>
To:        brian@Awfulhak.org
Cc:        kato@FreeBSD.org, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.Awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/i386 identcpu.c

Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org> wrote:

> I must say (rather passively though, so take this with a grain of salt)
> that I don't agree with this direction.  I think we should be striving
> to be more specific in our identification of the machine.  From a user
> perspective, it's quite nice to SCRLK/PGUP and see what you've just
> booted.  From a technical perspective I know it's not always very easy
> to determine which is which, but sometimes it is, and I think in those
> cases it would be nice to be specific.

When a kernel says `Unknown', user may be disapointed and/or could
misunderstand it that his/her CPU is not supported.  But, I think that
such a misunderstanding can be avoided with minimum representation.

Of course, I know users want to know detail information on theire
CPUs.  This information is indicated at booting by BIOS and they can
know which CPU is used.  Also, because it is not easy to change a CPU
in a notebook, a catalog of it can show exact name of CPU.  If a
kernel message is not inconsistent with information from BIOS or
catalog, I think enough.