Date:      Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:29:07 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Chris Piazza <cpiazza@jaxon.net>
Cc:        Brian Sletten <bsletten@nova.org>, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xmms-1.0.1 "runs slow"

On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 06:04:47PM -0800, Chris Piazza wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 12:39:09AM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 06:17:38PM -0500, Brian Sletten wrote:
> > > Hmmm... the only thing that is the same between us is FreeBSD
> > > 3.4-STABLE. I have an Aureal Vortex card, a 500MHz PIII using the OSS
> > > drivers.
> > >
> > > Ok, I'm going to try this at home too where I have 3.4-STABLE, an SB
> > > clone, a 400MHz PII and the OSS drivers.
> > >
> > > I'll let you know if I find anything.
> > >

> > Well, I re-built xmms and checked the output. The only thing I could
> > find that maybe related (since you suggested a threading problem) is
> >
> > Configuration:
> >   Install path:               /usr/local
> >   Current xmms                /usr/local/bin/xmms
> >   Build esd plugin:           yes
> >   Build mikmod plugin:        yes
> >   Build gnomexmms:            no
> >   Build OpenGL plugins:       yes
> >   Pthread flag:               -lc_r
> >   Use one plugin dir:         no
> >
> > Note: You need to have thread-safe xlibs to use xmms. If you are using
> > libc5 thread aware Xlibs just skip this. If you don't have those libs
> > and you are on a libc5 system get them at:
> > ftp://ftp.dent.med.uni-muenchen.de/pub/wmglo/
>
> If you build X from ports it will create a thread-safe Xlib... every
> machine I've tested this on had it (and also had no problems) so that
> may very well be the problem.

Well, I built XFree86 3.3.5 from the ports with no special flags etc.
Is there anyway I can check that my Xlibs are thread-safe? The fact
that xmms 0.9.5 worked fine suggests that they are, doesn't it?

ISTR that diffs are available for 3.3.5 -> 3.3.6 so I nay try u/g to
3.3.6 and see if that makes any difference.

> -Chris
> --
> cpiazza@jaxon.net   cpiazza@FreeBSD.org
>         Abbotsford, BC, Canada

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000