Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 10:48:53 +1300
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@freebsddiary.org>
To:        George Cox <gjvc@gjvc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsupd can't open some files

On 18 Feb 00, at 10:50, George Cox wrote:

> On 18/02 08:12, Dan Langille wrote:
>
> > I'm seeing the following entries in the cvsupd logs:
> >
> > Feb 18 05:33:44 fred cvsupd[3901]: Cannot open
> > "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD-
> > www.current/data/handbook/p11009.html": No such file or directory
> > Feb 18 05:33:45 fred cvsupd[3901]: Cannot open
> > "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD-
> > www.current/data/handbook/p14268.html": No such file or directory
> > Feb 18 05:33:45 fred cvsupd[3901]: Cannot open
> > "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/prefixes/FreeBSD-
> > www.current/data/handbook/p22357.html": No such file or directory
>
> Might I suggest recvsupping your cvsupd server? :-)  (this will make sure
> all the collections are up to date)

The cvs repository in question was created in the past few days (after a
disk failure).  The cvs tree was obtained from the 3.2-RELASE CDs and
then sup'd from cvsup-master.freebsd.org.  The cvsupd server is
refreshed on a regular basis.

Also, in case I didn't make it obvious, the above messages are
encountered when one client tries to sup.  The messages appear on
both the server and the client logs.

I've checked www.freebsd.org and the above files don't exist on that
webserver.  But it does exist on nz.freebsd.org (which is the client
which is trying to sup from cvsup.nz.freebsd.org).  So I do suspect my
setup.

To prove this, I cvsup'd from cvsup.au.freebsd.org.  All was well.

> As a matter of style, I would expect a directory with '/etc/cvsup/' in the
> path to contain just cvsup bookkeeping files, not the actual files.

AFAIK, the above setup is the default supplied when installing cvsupd-
bin.  I don't recall changing things.  But that doesn't mean I didn't.  This
box has been running a cvsup server for about three months.

> Also, check that your cvsup configuration file (which updates the
> collection which you serve) are coherent with your cvsupd configuration
> files (which serve files to clients), so they're both looking in the right
> place :-)

This is where I think the problem is.  For some reason.  I'll look and see.

Cheers.

--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited [I'm looking for more work]
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.freebsddiary.org/