Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 03:43:08 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ssh strangeness in -current...

Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org> wrote in list.freebsd-current:
 > On Mon, 6 Mar 2000, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > the ports (yeah, stupid me), to no avail.  It complained about some
 > > RSA library missing.
 >
 > Did you read the error message?

Yes, I did, it was not helpful.  In fact, it was confusing.

 > Perhaps you should. Perhaps reporting it
 > here would help someone to actually fix your problem instead of having to
 > guess.

I do not have a problem, I fixed it myself after some
struggling.  Did you read my whole message?  Maybe I was
a bit unclear.  Sorry for that.

My question was just what I am expected to do, and whether
removing /usr/bin/ssh is the suggested solution.

 > Hmm. Can you try cvsupping your src-crypto and src-secure collections from
 > another (non-US) cvsup server?

I can't cvsup on that -current box, it's too small for a
"make world" (and probably too slow, too).  I just downloaded
the 20000228-current snapshot and installed it.

 > > Apart from my stupidness of not checking the location of the binary
 > > first -- what did I do wrong, and what's the recommended way of
 > > handling this?  Am I supposed to rm /usr/bin/ssh each time I install a
 > > new release or snapshot?  I can't believe that.
 >
 > Read /etc/defaults/make.conf

Why?  I didn't compile anything.

 > > By the way, _why_ is ssh in the base system now, and what is
 > > wrong with having it in the ports?  I'm sorry if there was a
 > > "HEADS UP" on this list, then I must have missed it.
 >
 > Enough people wanted it in the base system

For what reason?  I'm sorry, I can't find anything in the
archives which is answering my question.

 > I'm quite surprised you've missed any discussion of OpenSSH here though,
 > since it's probably been one of the most discussed topics here for the
 > past few weeks.

Hm.  Strange.

Regards,
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)